My kids are sleeping and I felt inspired to share a few things on my mind.
This has been a very wonderful and busy first quarter. I have been creating and running at least four programs. Watching people learn, grow, get stuck, get unstuck and blast forward into new businesses has been really invigorating.
Each day I talk to really interesting people who are doing amazing things in the world. It is exceptionally stimuluating and fun.
There is a lot going on.
And in the back of my mind, amidst 32 urgent tasks a day to keep the machine rolling, I hear whispers of a strong voice telling me there is a new body of work waiting to be born.
My soul is craving quiet. I want to walk in nature, savoring long stretches of time without anything to do in order to listen to this voice.
And the ideas bubbling up are:
- The distractions that Seth Godin talks about in his new book Linchpin. And how when we are so busy responding to messages and interacting and building relationships that our true work eludes us.
- The deeper purpose and meaning of my life. What am I meant to do? Why am I here?
- The concept of personal leadership I wrote about a few weeks ago. This feels big, like something that is rumbling deep in the consciousness of a lot of people. Many, many of us are scrambling to live up to an expectation designed for someone else.
- Environment design, a concept both Andrea Lee and Charlie Gilkey talk about. How do I need to design everything in my life (systems, patterns, support, workflow) so that I have the time to create a new body of work?
- How much easier it feels to focus on backward-looking metrics (how many people read that post? how many people joined that program?) instead of creating a new future.
I don’t have the any answers yet. I just felt like sharing my thoughts.
What’s on your mind?